The notion of building a canal in the Kensington-Fishtown-Port Richmond neighborhoods originated with local businessmen and property owners along the sluggish meandering stream known as Gunner’s Run. Incorporating themselves as the Gunner’s Run Improvement Company, on March 15, 1847, these men hoped the canal would serve to spur economic development and prosperity in their community.
The Cramp/Bumm Site was located at the former 1018 Palmer Street property, now part of the PennDOT right-of-way along the southbound side of the roadway.
The Dyottville Glass Works site was located at the intersection of Dyott Street and Richmond Street, with Dyott Street to the south, Richmond Street to the west, and the Delaware River to the east, situated along the northeast shoulder of the Dyott-Richmond Street intersection.
The Fishtown One Site was located in the Kensington “Fishtown” section of Philadelphia and encompassed an approximately 1.05-acre parcel of land bounded by Palmer Street (west), Salmon Street (north), Delaware Avenue (south), and Montgomery Avenue (east).
The Fishtown Two Site was located in the Kensington “Fishtown” section of Philadelphia and encompassed an approximately 1.35-acre parcel of land bounded by Montgomery Avenue (west), Delaware Avenue (south), and Berks Street (east). Properties fronting onto Montgomery and Berks Streets delineate the northern boundary of Block 2.
The Gunner’s Run South Site (36Ph162) was located in the Kensington “Fishtown” section of Philadelphia and encompassed an approximately 2.2-acre parcel of land bounded by Delaware Avenue to the south, Berks Street to the west, Wildey Street to the north, and the southern terminus of Aramingo Avenue to the east.
3D Artifact Scans
The Hope Farm/Richmond Hall Site was located along the western edge of the adjacent Port Richmond/Conrail Rail Yard. Improvements to I-95 in this portion of the project involved shifting the alignment of Richmond Street to the east of its present location, to a parallel alignment located in the rail yard. This relocated section of Richmond
The Port Richmond Site (Site Number 36PH0203) is located on the former city block bounded by Richmond, Ann, Melvale, and East Cambria Streets in the Port Richmond section of the city. This historic block now falls within the Conrail Philadelphia property.
The Remer Site was located at the former 1026 Shackamaxon Street property, now part of the PennDOT right-of-way along the southbound side of the roadway.